The Ephesus Foundation, Inc. was formed on June 7, 2007 as a Missouri non-profit corporation and is recognized by the I.R.S. as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. The Foundation’s main focus is in restoring Christian archaeological sites in foreign countries, with an emphasis on the area of the former Ephesus, Turkey (today outside of modern Selcuk). No part of the net earnings of the Foundation are distributed to, or inure to the benefit of, any Director or Officer of the Foundation, nor to any contributor or private person.
- To foster and promote archaeological, scientific, historical, theological and scholarly research into the lives of religious figures and places, especially those related to the early Christian Church in Ephesus, Turkey.
- To provide education to the general public regarding the lives of religious figures and the places they lived and died, especially those related to the early Christian Church in Ephesus, Turkey.
- To support the investigation, restoration and preservation of the homes, tombs, graves, churches, shrines and other sites especially those related to the early Christian Church in Ephesus, Turkey.
- To support those in religious orders and their efforts when consistent with the purposes of the Foundation.
- To carry on such other activities as may be incidental to or will assist in the accomplishment of the above purposes for which a not-for-profit corporation organized under the laws of the State of Missouri and operated exclusively for the purposes set out above may be, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations.
Austrian Archaeological Institute
The Ephesus Foundation (USA) works closely with the Austrian Archaeological Institute, established in 1898. The Institute is based in Vienna and is an independent research institution of Austria, under the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research. The Institute is headed by Dr. Sabine Ladstätter and is well known for its research projects in Ephesus, Turkey. The excavations at Ephesus were begun in the 1890’s and are still on-going, with more recent work at Ephesus since 1954 without interruption. Permission is granted annually by the Turkish authorities to undertake various projects. The excavation work at Ephesus is funded by the Austrian government, by the Austrian Science Fund, the Austrian Academy of Sciences and from donations by private sponsors, such as The Ephesus Foundation, Inc. (USA) and the Society of the Friends of Ephesos. Recent major projects include the roofing and conservation of Terrace House 2 and the restoration of great amphitheater at Ephesus, in cooperation with the municipality of Selçuk and Turkish firms.
The Ephesus Foundation, Inc. (USA) is dedicated to compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations including, but not limited to, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the USA PATRIOT Act, its Reauthorization Act of 2005, Executive Order 13224, and with the U.S. Department of the Treasury Anti-Terrorist Financing Guidelines: Voluntary Best Practices for U.S.-Based Charities, in all of its activities.
[Note: The Ephesus Foundation, Inc. (USA) is not affiliated with a Turkish organization by the same name, “The Ephesus Foundation,” which was formed under the Turkish Civil Code in 2010. The Turkish entity was formed by three large Turkish companies (Borusan, Eczacıbaşı and Doğuş Holding) to assist with archaeological excavation and provide financial support for the Museum. The USA entity, formed in 2007, is dedicated solely to restoration of the ancient Christian sites in Ephesus].
Officers & Directors
The corporation is managed by a Board of Directors and a President/Treasurer. The current Board members are: Georgia Nan Lynch (Kansas City, Missouri); Dianne Hogerty (Mission Hills, Kansas) and David Phillip Quatman (Huntington Beach, California). The President/Treasurer is G. William Quatman (Kansas City, Missouri).